Founded in 1927, Sharjah city municipality (SM) is one of the oldest municipalities in the UAE. However, the modern system of the municipality as a multiple-service providing body was initiated in 1971 when a decree was issued to define its domain of activities and grant it with powers to carry out the necessary supervision over all public utilities and public services provided to citizens.
The municipality is a civic body through which services and utilities of the emirate’s modern society are intervened. Therefore, the role and activities of the municipality cannot be fully detailed in this short expose.
SM executes many public projects in the emirate of Sharjah every year, and it has a great role in boosting the economy, society, public health, environment and many other fields in the emirate.
Since its foundation, SM has gone through multiple stages and witnessed rapid growth of its occupational and organizational structures, headquarters, balance sheets and responsibilities.
Methodology of Municipal Work
As a public service department, Sharjah City Municipality is keen to provide distinguished and comprehensive services that can achieve the satisfaction and happiness of all its customers. The municipality is committed to delivering these services with the highest quality and in a timely manner through the realization of the following vision, mission and fundamental values:
A modern city with sustainable qualitative services that make it more attractive.
To keep Sharjah a pleasant city that shines with warm hospitality, where everybody lives in happiness and prosperity, and an ideal place for work, productivity and creativity.
Our Fundamental Values:
Our firm commitment, since the foundation of the municipality, is still the same. Whatever we do is revolves around the commitment to our fundamental values, which are stemmed from the teachings of our true religion and the directives of our wise leadership that put the provision of services on the top of our priorities.
· Our identity: Preservation of the cultural and architectural heritage of the emirate of Sharjah.
· Cooperation: Fostering cooperation and teamwork between all employees.
· Credibility: Transparency in cooperation and clarity of procedures.
· Integrity: Dedication, honesty and efficiency of all employee.
· Excellence: Commitment to the highest level of quality to put the municipality on the track of excellence.
· Professionalism: the human element is the center of attention (employees, workers & customers).
· Communication: Implementing an open door policy and activating channels of communication with community members.
· Leadership: Adopting the spirit of taking initiatives, creativity and development for enhancement of services.
· Happiness: Realizing the vision of the government so as to ensure the happiness of employees and customers.
Our Strategic Goals:
· Achieve satisfaction of Sharjah city residents and meet their needs by providing them with comprehensive and distinguished services.
· Foster education and awareness on environment protection by spreading environmental culture and concepts through all educational channels.
· Increase investments, enhance resources and keep pace with the continuous developments through the best use of available resources. Improve the municipality’s capabilities to be able to perform its tasks and implement its mission and vision.
· Improve the quality of studies and their implementation, and hence ensure having operators of facilities that are in conformity with the set standards and are suitable for use, and ensure the best use of the allotted budget and economizing the expenditure on operation and maintenance.
· Motivate human resources: Preparation of administrative systems that draw a link between the municipality’s strategic goals and the performance of its staff on one hand and achieving the employees’ satisfaction on the other hand through the constant review and improvement of incomes, enhancing work environment and providing attractive career paths for competent personnel, and hence reaching new levels of professionalism and progress.
· Strengthen the principle of community partnership and cooperation with the concerned entities in the public and private sectors for the common good.
· Strive to reach unprecedented levels of comprehensive quality, motivate and encourage employees to acquire creativity and excellence by the recognition of innovators and their innovated projects and achievements.
· Adopt modernization and facilitate procedures by introducing more electronic services and making the best use of information technology.
· Lay out plans that can realize the UAE federal government’s vision to ensure the happiness of both employees and customers through the application of happiness criteria.