- Car parking
Nestled in the city center, Umm Al Emarat Park in Abu Dhabi is one of the oldest parks in the city. Originally known as Mushrif Park, Umm Al Emarat Park has a prime location — it’s located on 15th Street between Karamah Street and Airport Road the latter of which connects to the whole city.
Take a look at our detailed Umm Al Emarat Park review to find out more about all the exciting attractions in this family-friendly destination.
The park is designed to honor Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan. A conservationist at heart, Abu Dhabi’s former ruler worked tirelessly on preserving the environment and species native to the UAE. As a testament to his legacy, this famous public park in Abu Dhabi features everything from botanical gardens to an animal barn and acres of lush green foliage.
Here are a few things you need to know about Umm al Emarat park in Abu Dhabi.
THINGS TO NOTE
The best thing about this park? It’s open every day. Regarding Umm Al Emarat park entry fee and location, here is what you should know before visiting the place:
- Opening Hours: 08:00 am to 12:00 am
- Ticket Price: AED 5 per adult
- Address: 15th Street, Mushrif Area, Karama — Abu Dhabi— UAE
- Pets Allowed: No
- Single person entry: Yes
Being a large park, it can be difficult to navigate through this park, so we recommend getting your hands on one of the Umm Al Emarat maps to find your way through the many attractions.
Of course, what’s a park without attractions for the whole family to enjoy? Without further ado, here are all the exciting things to do in Umm Al Emarat Park that make it a great option for families.
TOP ATTRACTIONS AT UMM AL EMARAT PARK
There is something for everyone at the park. From observations of exotic animal species to theatrical performances, here is what you can look forward to during a visit to Umm Al Emarat Park in Abu Dhabi.
The amphitheater is one of the top attractions at Umm al Emarat Park Abu Dhabi. Facing the Entrance Pavilion, The Amphitheatre is a magnificent theatre stage. You may find performances like cultural dances, music performances, plays, community theatre performances and even screenings for movies or sporting events. The grassy area in front can accommodate up to 2500 people, so popular performances are sure to be a blast.
Umm Al Emarat Park was specifically designed with young visitors in mind. So, it’s not surprising that there is an entire area that’s dedicated to them. The Children’s Garden features an interactive play area where kids are free to explore and let their imagination run wild. The management has also set up an outdoor cinema with popular animated films for kids to enjoy.
ANIMAL BARN AND PETTING ZOO
The Children’s Garden is also home to The Animal Barn and Petting Zoo. Rest assured, your kids or the animal lover in you is pretty much going to make a beeline for it. The area is well-managed courtesy of the Emirates Parks Zoo and popular with kids and parents alike.
Plus, it provides everyone with a great opportunity to interact with their favorite animals from cows and goats to donkeys and camels — all of whom have a dedicated team of caretakers to ensure that they stay healthy. The animals are rotated on a regular basis depending on seasonal changes, so you get a new experience every few months. Plus, you can also feed them for AED 10.
THE SHADE HOUSE
Umm Al Emarat Park is all about the preservation of species. To satisfy the conservationist in you, head to the Shade House. This breath-taking structure is one of the park’s most iconic features. It houses over 30 plant species and is temperature controlled to help them thrive in an open environment.
If you have a penchant for exotic plants, the Botanic Garden should be on your list of things to do at Umm Al Emarat Park. In addition to over 200 local species and a pond, the garden features plants from Latin America, Africa, Australia and the United States. Cascading waters and stone pools provide the perfect habitat for these exotic species and give a natural look to the place too.
What is it about an expanse of sprawling grass that just makes you want to run through it? Aptly named, the Great Lawn is one of the most serene places to visit in Umm Al Emarat Park. A wide commanding space, this lawn is perfect for a wide range of outdoor activities; from a game of tag to yoga sessions.
THE WONDER MAZE
Consider yourself a maze whiz? Good luck trying to find your way out of the famous Umm Al Emarat Park maze. This is not lust another ordinary maze — it’s a confusing kaleidoscope of twists and turns that keep you guessing. Dubbed the largest maze in the world, The Wonder Maze was introduced in 2018.
It took around 1,700 meters of column pipes, a 25,000 sq. m tarpaulin, 8,000 meters of rope and 30,000 man hours to create this behemoth. The maze is a whopping 3,000 meters and might take guests anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to complete. In part, this is thanks to the various grids and paths which are changed regularly to keep visitors guessing. But don’t worry. Once you reach the center, there is a viewing platform from where you can spot the exit and navigate your way back easily.
Field trips are a great way for schools to provide students exposure to new environments and gain experiences outside the classroom. Umm Al Emarat Park offers school tours to primary, secondary and senior school years.
The park charges AED 60 for each student for 2-hour tours. Each package is designed according to the main aspects of each curriculum.
Package 1 for Primary Schools
Based on primary education, this package focus on:
- Animals of the Park: Kids learn about the history of different animals and how they adapt.
- Life in the Desert: Learning is based on the conditions and survival in harsh deserts as well as its history.
- Desert and Plants: Students learn about how different species of plants thrive in the desert.
Price for primary schools is AED 40 per student.
Package 2 for Middle Schools
Based on a middle school curriculum, this package focuses on:
- Plant Adaptation: Based on plant adaptation and the importance of plant species in the ecosystem.
- Hospitality: Based on nomadic lifestyles, their hospitality and adaptation
- Sustainability: How human intervention affects environments or climates and how we rely on natural systems.
The park charges AED 50 for middle school tours.
Package 3 for Senior Schools
This package focuses on senior school curriculums. Areas of focus include:
- Wisdom Garden: This tour is based on the history of the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
- Measuring Ecosystems: Tour is based around the complex biology of ecosystems and environmental management.
Charges for senior school tours are AED 60 per students. For more information, refer to the following details:
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact number for school tours in Umm Al Emarat Park: +971 (0)2 666 9559
In addition to these exciting attractions, there are also several events organized in Umm Al Emarat Park. One of the most notable of these is the Umm Al Emarat Park celebrations for the UAE National Day. There are also periodic Ripe Market events organized in the park during weekends.
UMM AL EMARAT PARK RESTAURANTS
All that activity is bound to make kids and the rest of your family hungry. The park has this covered too. In terms of the options of Umm Al Emarat Park food, savory burgers, salads, sandwiches, beverages and a variety of scrumptious desserts, are available at Burger Bureau. For ice cream, head to Movenpick which has an assortment of flavors available.
Of course, you can always head to the park’s own Park Station Cafe. Defined as a “chic and cozy cafe” the Umm al Emarat park cafe offers healthy organic offerings from salads to sandwiches in addition to a variety of scrumptious desserts and beverages.
- Opening hours: 10:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Location: Main entrance
Besides these eateries located within the park, there are also several restaurants near Umm Al Emarat Park. These include trendy food trucks such as Salt and Parkers.
UMM AL EMARAT PARK RULES
The staff at Umm al Emarat Park strive to provide a safe and comfortable environment to visitors. Here are some of the rules on Umm Al Emarat Park that you should be aware of:
- Tickets are non-exchangeable and non-transferrable. Additionally, the ticket price does not include charges for additional events held at the park.
- Parcels and other forms of baggage may be subject to security checks and the park reserves the right to disallow any baggage as deemed necessary
- The grounds are monitored by CCTV security
- For organized events and commercial photography at the park, prior approval is required from park management
- Asides from water bottles for small children, outside food isn’t allowed
- The park reserves the right to change operating hours, close all or part of it or cancel any event due to bad weather or special events without refund or compensation as deemed necessary
- Guests are not allowed to tamper, remove or damage any plant, structure, park furniture, accessories or any other item in the park
- Only bikes and scooters for small children under 7 are allowed in the park. Hoverboards, skateboards, roller skates and other forms of entertainment aren’t allowed
- Anyone caught cooking food, like grilling or barbecuing, will immediately be fined AED500
- Pets aren’t allowed except assistance dogs
Additionally, the park is a non-smoking venue. So, any forms of the type, including e-cigarettes, shisha or the like is strictly prohibited.
ACCOLADES AND AWARDS
Umm Al Emarat Park was granted the prestigious Green Flag award; an internationally acclaimed accolade that recognizes the best practices for the management of parks or green spaces. The park is an extensive benchmark in terms of heritage, community involvement, cleanliness, sustainability, conservation, and safety to secure this award. An 80+ score from the Green Flag Award Scheme also contributed to the win.
So there you have it. Considered one of the best parks in Abu Dhabi, a visit to Umm Al Emarat Park is a good option whether you are looking for a leisurely day out with the family or an educational outing with the kids. Looking for more options? Check out the best public parks in Abu Dhabi and the best parks in Al Ain. Take a look at some of our top picks for best parks in Dubai. And if you really want to cool off from the summer heat, you can also take your family to any of the UAE’s popular waterparks too.