- Air conditioner
- Car parking
- Non smoking
Do you enjoy exploring heritage sites? For a truly immersive experience that takes you back to the ingenious aspects of the Bedouin lifestyle and the rich history of the UAE, a visit to Heritage Village Abu Dhabi is an absolute must. It features a traditional village oasis that offers glimpses of life in the UAE before its oil boom. A visit here feels like a walk down the annals of history where you can see an array of precious assets such as stone huts, Bedouin tents and palm leaf houses to name a few.
If you are planning a trip to this attraction in the capital city, find out about the things to do at Heritage Village Abu Dhabi.
THINGS TO DO AT HERITAGE VILLAGE ABU DHABI
ABOUT HERITAGE VILLAGE
You might be well aware of the fascinating sights and parks in Abu Dhabi. But have you ever experienced the traditional aspects of the desert way of life? Heritage Village is one of the must-visit heritage sites in Abu Dhabi for tourists to explore the cultural significance of the emirates.
- The traditional souk and an ancient mosque will take you in a time capsule to a pre-modernised Abu Dhabi
- It is one of the most interesting family-friendly destinations in Abu Dhabi, particularly for true heritage lovers to explore unique artefacts
- The displays of goats, camels and Arabian horses also make this place a pleasant sight for kids
- If you want to witness the art of making traditional handicrafts, there are local artisans exhibiting weaving, pottery, metal work and more
- You can also shop for traditional products such as handmade soap, clothing, silver jewellery and more
- There are also stalls where women can get their hands adorned with traditional henna or mehndi with a perfect Arabic blend.
ACTIVITIES AT HERITAGE VILLAGE ABU DHABI
There is a lot to do at the Heritage Village Museum for curious travellers. You can witness the journey of the emirates from an ethnic Arabic shell that has risen to a metropolis in a very short span of time. One of the popular events in the capital city is the Heritage Village festival which is organised by the Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi. While this is a periodic event, here are the other things to do at the Heritage Village, available throughout the year.
- The museum at the Heritage Village reflects Emirati traditions with authentic jewellery, weapons of the early era and historic tents.
- You can also have a look at the copies of the handwritten Quran that is on display.
- Do you ever wonder how the irrigation system worked in early times? A replica of the irrigation system demonstrates the functioning that is used in the UAE to irrigate palm groves.
- Holding on to the roots of the region, one of the Heritage Village attractions also exhibits the art of blowing glass, which was practiced in the region to make beautifully shaped perfume bottles.
- There are ample opportunities to click Insta-worthy pictures including the stunning falconry demonstration at this destination which is worth witnessing.
- If you ever wondered how old Emirati homes stayed cool during the scorching summers, do not miss visiting the tower of wind (Barjeel) that was used in ancient dwellings to blow refreshing air in desert abodes. Even in the heat of the day and regardless of the direction of the wind, this cooling tower drives fresh and cool air into traditional Arabic homes.
HERITAGE VILLAGE SHOPPING
Apart from peeking in the past at the Heritage Village Abu Dhabi, you can have a unique experience of purchasing traditional souvenirs that is an ode to the rich nomadic past of the region. Here are a few things you can bring back with you to make your trip memorable.
- If you are wondering about the Heritage Village Abu Dhabi entrance fees, you will be happy to know this is one of the free things to do in Abu Dhabi, so you will not feel guilty spending some cash on the gift shop.
- You can purchase some traditional artefacts and crafts created with tremendous traditional skills.
- A small spice shop in the Heritage Village sells handmade soaps and herbs.
- There is also a small traditional souk where you can test your bargaining skills. The souks feature stalls for silver jewellery, traditional clothing, wool rugs, handbags and henna among other things.
- Tourists can also find local merchandise such as UAE keychains. T-shirts and more.
HERITAGE VILLAGE BEACH
You will be amazed to know that apart from the nostalgia, there is also a beautiful beach overlooking the turquoise waters of the Arabian Gulf. It is a must visit spot if you are visiting the Heritage Village, but read below to find out about what to expect from the beach.
- This narrow strip of beach is the most beautiful spot to enjoy the views of the Abu Dhabi skyline under palm shades.
- Bear in mind that you are not allowed to come with beach attire to swim.
- Traditional dhows and old boats also complement the cultural heritage of the old Arabic harbour.
HERITAGE VILLAGE ABU DHABI RESTAURANT
If you are feeling a little peckish after all that walking around, Al Asalah Restaurant is a great option to enjoy some delicious Mediterranean food while soaking in the stunning waterfront sights. Other popular dining options can be found a short distance away in either Marina Mall or the Corniche area.
HERITAGE VILLAGE ABU DHABI TICKET PRICE
Heritage Village Abu Dhabi tickets are for free so you can visit without burning a hole in your pocket.
LOCATION OF HERITAGE VILLAGE
The Heritage Village Abu Dhabi location is in the Corniche area near Marina Mall on Breakwater road in Abu Dhabi. Parking is available at the Heritage Village whereas you can also park in the Marina Mall and opt for a taxi or a bus.
TIMINGS OF HERITAGE VILLAGE
Heritage Village Abu Dhabi timings during weekdays are from Saturday to Thursday between 09:00 am and 04:00 pm. On Friday, the Heritage Village Abu Dhabi opening hours are 03:30 pm up to 09:00 pm. The approximate time to explore all the attractions is around 90 minutes.
HERITAGE VILLAGE ABU DHABI CONTACT NUMBER
You can get in touch with the management of the Heritage Village regarding any queries on this number +971-2-681-4455.
That concludes our review of the Heritage Village in Abu Dhabi. If you want to know more about the rich culture of the UAE, there are some museums in Abu Dhabi that reflect the Bedouin lifestyle and heritage. And if you are fascinated by the art and culture, exhibits in Louvre Abu Dhabi features some jaw-dropping artworks in the capital. This Heritake Park in Abu Dhabi is not the only ode to the regions rich past, there is also annual Heritage Village festival in Al Wathba for history buffs to enjoy.
If you enjoy living in the centre of such cultural attractions, you could consider living in one of the rental apartments in the Corniche area.